Saturday, December 4, 2010

Saidpur to Dhaka 3rd/4th Dec.2010

Well arriving in Saidpur Friday morning was great and the countryside around was again beautifulwith that early morning chill that carries a promise of a warmer noon.  It had changed not like Dhaka but enough to confuse me.  We visited the house where I lived and where much of my courtship took place and though recognisable it was seedier than when we lived there the photos will tell the tale.  Especially for Fionnuala and Bernie I have photos of the cooking and 'fuel' which you might want to share with the youth from Glen!

We visited the old haunts and the centre where they make the calenders and those of you in receipt of these annually will be all glad to know that I managed to get some different designs this year, a few a throw back to the old days, though it will be in the spring.  We then visited a group that used to live in the slums where I worked and have been resettled and have a very strong committee once again made up of females, that is the biggest change I have observed in Bangladesh and hopefully they will have the support to continue this forward movement.  They greeted us with beautiful flowers and literally pilled me in different directions showing the new developments and little enterprises, there was one house and when they opened the gate there was a cow and calf eating on the front 'veranda' about the size of a large bathroom so nothing is impossible.  I had my first rickshaw ride in Saidpur but I'm afraid the seat depth (front to back) was a great test to me remaining secure especially as the 'sideroads'are full of humps and bumps and I did feel very sorry for the poor Rickshaw Wallah! 

Back to Dhaka yesterday and by the time we arrived after a 9 hour journey I was tired, hot and humid but back in the swing of things today it appears to be a little cooler.  Still in the middle of wedding organisation and Irish translations so probably best I won't be around to add anymore to the tension that is building!

Keep warm and safe!

No comments:

Post a Comment