Thursday, December 23, 2010

Christchurch to Franz Josef Glacier via Arthurs Pass

On rereading my last edition I realise I was under pressure on the camp internet and tiredness, a lot of ediring needed!  Well we headed of on the next part of our trip which should have beenspectacular views but unfortunately of fortunately on review we had a lot of rain.  The trip through Arthurs Pass in a Motorhome is a test in patience, perseverence and skill in handling the road and you all know that I possess those in abundance!  The roads again were very windy and surrounded by incredible rain forests and the rain really highlighted the impression.  Everything is just so big and vast, it all goes on for so long even the ferns grow like trees!  We were getting a little bit nervous as the diesel guage was going down and no sight of civilization and with 4 kilometres left we idled into a town, Aisling said she had total confidence in me but I'm not sure.

We arrived in Franz Josef around 7/8 that evening in the rain and mist and it did not look promising for a walk on the glacier the next day, so we just drove up to near where the walk would start.  En route I stopped the car to take some snaps of broken chunks of ice coming in torrents down the flood from the glacier.  When we arrived near the bottom of the glacier the feeling I had was not what I expected.  When you see a photo of one you acknowledge what it is but I quite quickly felt a strong affinity for this 'living' force and felt very sad for some reason. I felt an angry resignation on its behalf, people up gazing at it and planning their trek the next day while it was spewing out 'broken teeth' already battered by those who had gone before and throwing them into the flood.  I was relieved in the end that the next day brought no change in the weather, the fact I was a little worried about slipping and suffering a bone injury may also have had something to do with it!

Next day after a lazy start we headed south towards Wanaka which is close to Queenstown.  This was again a journey of discovery and admiration of how the New Zealanders take pride in what nature has provided them with.  We travelled along the west coast but slightly inland and again the the rain forests were awe inspiring but the waterfalls like nothing I have ever seen or imagined.  They went on and on one bigger and stronger than the next intermingled with veins of water falls supplying life to the forests and land below.  At times it was like both sides of the road were vying for dominance with the sheer power and force of their deluges.  I found it difficult to figure out what way rivers were flowing.  We finally arrived in Wanaka and spent the night there and the next day visited puzzle world.  Now anyone with access to the internet google this.  It is ingenious and yet such a simple concept and a great idea for any country to create as an attraction for natives and visitors alike.  We also looked at doing a sky dive but though the day was beautiful a wind had got up so not suitable, Aisling is determined to get ne up there! 

Arrived in Queenstown last night and had my family together so looking forward to Xmas.  Did a big shop for dinner as I think I am cooking Xmas dinner for 8 but only I told them if they get their act together and 'spring clean' the joint, Santa's motorhome Grotto would be a bit of a crush!

With that I wish you all a very Happy and Peaceful Xmas and hopefully I will be speaking to some of you soon. Peace and calm from a glorious Nez Zealand.

2 comments:

  1. Happy Christmas to you and the kids Evanna. Really enjoying the blog. No more pics since Bangladesh, is that right? In case I'm missing a link somewhere.....

    hugs and kisses to ye!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you have a lovely christmas and enjoy spending time with your kids. Time is precious!!!

    ReplyDelete