Wednesday, December 22, 2010

the Catlins to Akaroa via Dunedin and Oramaru

Well this was not the exciting trip that I had become used to but still wonderful.  For any of you following my blog in Bangladesh and my explanation about the 'Chars' well I crossed many bridges that covered 'chars' like and unlike the ones in Banbladesh, both created by the force of wate but with different outcomes and in NZ anyway people were ot depending on their livlihoods to survive of them.  The river beds are so immence yet the flow of water appears to have decreased over the years and in the grand scheme of things I don't know how that will effect this amazing country.  The penguin scenario did not quite work out the way I had hoped for but I did see them up close and with babies but not in the numbers I had hoped for.

I continued up the coast towards Christchurch on sunday before meeting Aisling and enterd into this incredible area of to the east which had the name of being very french even though they only inhabited it for a decade or more before the english joined them in the 19th century.  This is where Akaroa is and it was the end of my journey on sunday night.  I was again not prepared for the dramatic change in the terrain, I entered an area of soft alpine hills, winding roads and the most incredible views.  I climbed 7 kilometres that any rally driver would be proud of and then descended another 12 of similar winding roads to get to my final destination, it was exhilerating and just glorious.  I came upon Barry Bay followed by Robinson Bay joined together by the sea and followed on by Children's Bay, I thought this is a good ome for my niece Jackie and her Kiwi hubbie Craig and the new addition to their family in Feb and a healthy sibling for Maggie May.  The fact that french bay was in there somewhere was a little eerie but so sign of schorderet Bay so no spookiness there.  I enjoyed a lovely evening in the hills in my wonderful motorhome overlooking Akaroa with a G n T a beautiful moon and stars that Gabs tells me are not the same as ours but I can't understand that anyway thats for anothe day.

The next day I toured the little 'french' village which was quaint and attractive  and then headed off to collect no. 1 child.  I took the scenic route out of there which I initially thought could not be as beautiful as my arrival but how wrong was I.  Imagine driving through the Bluestacks  curling up and down through them which in itself is beautiful but then driving along the top of them and seeing everything from a greater perspective well that is what it was like and I hope I can attach a few photos tomorrow to show you some of this beauty it is incredible. I have no more credit left tonight and I have so much more to say about the next phase in my journey so for now I will say goodnight, Aisling and I having fun playing house in the motorhome Xmass tree and all, you can imagine the scenario!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment